These H.O.P.s are for the following units: Reading to Learn, Research Clubs, Learning from Countries
Online Games (Websites & Apps):
- Brainpop: Reading Non Fiction
Watch these videos and jot. Think about the main idea as you read and remember to organize your jots so they make sense to you.
Games & Activities:
- Read several different nonfiction books on the same topic and compare and contrast the information you are learning.
- Illustrate a page in your nonfiction book.
- Create a new title for your nonfiction book
- Create a comic strip version of the book or information text you are reading.
- Make an illustrated glossary of terms.
- Use the nonfiction jot menu to jot about your reading.
- Make a poster representing a person you read about in a biography.
Games & Activities:
- Act it out!! With a family member act out 1 or more important parts of what you are reading (biography)
- Read a biography and create a presentation for your family. Make sure to include important information, events, dates, and why this person is influential.
- Go to the zoo with your family and read the nonfiction plagues about the animals. Then teach your family what you have learned.
- Go to a museum and explore an area of interest
- Research your favorite animal and make a presentation to share with your family
- Make a game board using significant events or information from the text you are reading
- Write a list of things you learned. Make a quiz and test your family member.
Watch Planet Earth (or watch another similar nonfiction documentary) and take jots as you read
Articles & Resources:
Explore the websites below and look for the main idea as you read. Think about these questions as you read:
- What is the text mostly about?
- What details support your main idea?
- Highlights (multi genre)
- Sports Illustrated Kids
- National Geographic Kids (big kid version)
- American Girl (multi genre)
- Cobblestone (Historical)
- Odyssey (science)
- Muse (history, science, arts)
- Time for kids (grade 3-4 edition, grade 5-6 edition)
- Ranger Rick