1. Print a set of decimal cards
- Play ‘War’
- Order fractions from largest to smallest or smallest to largest
- Play ‘Go Fish’ (You’ll need 2 sets of decimal cards to play)
2. Print a set of blank cards then:
- Create a set of cards with fractions equivalent to the decimal cards (if there is a decimal card that says 0.1, make a card that says 1/10).
- Play ‘Concentration’ (memory)
- Play ‘War’ with a mix of the fraction cards and decimal cards
- Play ‘Go Fish’ with a mix of the fraction cards and decimal cards.
- Mix the fraction and decimal cards and place them on a number line.
3. Using a 100-Grid:
Use 5 different colors to create a design
- Count how many squares you have of each color
- Represent these numbers as decimals and fractions
Example: I colored 15 of the squares green. That’s 0.15 OR 15/100
4. Go on a hunt at the Grocery Store:
- Find 15 different items under $1.00
- Write down the cost of each item
- Convert the decimal to fractions
- Then, create a number line and place all these values on the number line
Games, Apps & Websites
- Number Bond
- Fruit Ninja Decimal Fractions
- Download the Splash Math app and practice some decimal work!
- Common Core Worksheets
- Log on to LearnZillion – Solve Word Problems by comparing fractions and decimals (Lesson Code: S8ST6QS)
- Go to IXL and practice (Please note, that this site has a free trial, after which you have to subscribe).
- What Decimal Number is Illustrated?
- Model Decimals and Fractions
- Understanding Decimals Expressed in Words
- Place Value in Decimal Numbers
- Equivalent Decimals
- Decimals on a Number Line
- Graph Fractions as Decimals on a Number Line
- Decimals to Fractions and Mixed Numbers
- Compare Decimals on a Number Line
- Compare Decimal Numbers
- Putting Decimal Numbers in Order
- Compare Decimals and Fractions on a Number Line
- Compare Decimals and Fractions
- Number Sequences Involving Decimals
Looking for a challenge? Check out these Extension Avtivities
- Play Gate Game from MathSnacks
- Decimal Card Game